Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tie BLog #2

Today, I completed my 4th lesson plan and incorporated my VoiceThread with it. I felt overall the lesson went well and  the VoiceThread  was new and exciting for the students to explore with. I did not have all the students record their VoiceThread, I only had students I had worked with the day before because I wanted them to record on their own. Also because I had multiple  activities planned within my lesson and I was afraid I would not be able to complete everything on time. So to help with time , I let the students practice recording a couple of times and they thought it was so cool to hear their voice! Today during the lesson  the students had to write 4 different sentences. So for my students that were going to record my plan was to give them a strip of paper that was numbered so they knew when to record and it would be in sync with the powerpoint. Instead, I actually checked their sentences and told them when to go record. I let them do it on their own and did not watch them. I told them to raise their hand if they needed help. They all accomplished it successfully! Also I had a few different students that were not on my original list record. I showed them once and then let them record. I added to my original powerpoint  some of the elements from the actual lesson. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask! I am no expert however I survived my VoiceThread today, a huge accomplishment for me!!!


What worked well? For me, it was teaching them ahead of time how to record a VoiceThread. Also recording with  a handful of students.  I had it in my lesson plan that I was going to teach all the students how to record and model during my lesson plan. However, I was thinking about it and that would take up too much time. Since they are in first grade I would not feel comfortable allowing them to go to the computer and record when they wrote their sentence.  So the day before one at a time I selected a few and let them practice. The day of my lesson I just checked their sentence and told them to record. I let them get the headsets, use the mouse and do everything independently.

What would I have done differently? I would have liked to involve more students in the VoiceThread. I think also I could have let some doodle. I am still not sure about typing because they don't know where letters are on a keyboard or how to spell. I tried my best and played different scenarios in my head so I think it went pretty well and I was happy with the results.

I made a power point to tell the whole story of my lesson rather than just my Voice Thread. After viewing my Voice Thread, do you think this helped you understand my whole lesson better? Did you like seeing all the pictures and samples of the students work? What do you think I could have added to take my lesson to the next level? Thank you, I appreciate the feedback!
Good luck on your next lesson plan and VoiceThread! Here is my Voice Thread, enjoy!!!


Here are the three peers I commented on: Rachel, Mindy and Evelyn   I want to say Great Job to everyone in our class! I know we started off rough but we made it through!  Remember: Only the strong survive!



5 comments:

  1. Hi I was trying to view your VoiceThread yet it requires me to have permission. Could you make it view able to the public? Thanks!
    (also your links to your GoogleDocs are private as well)

    Congrats on finishing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Laura,
    I really liked your VoiceThread and how you walked through each step of what you did. It really helped me follow through with your work. I love examples! You really hit visual learners by incorporating the pictures of students into your VoiceThread. An idea for making it higher would be to add the "cowboy terminology" into the phrases of what they would "see, do, etc" as a cowboy/girl. Also, if you gave each student their own identity while commenting. This allows students to have ownership of their comments and easy access to "brag" to family. If you need help on this I would be glad to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, You did a great job with your VoiceThread, it was very creative and interesting. I'm sure the students were very interested, because it's new and they get to hear their own voice. However, I agree with you when you say that you wished more students could be involved with the voicethread. I had several students that I didn't pick to do the VoiceThread that really wanted to and I would want everyone to use it, but there's just not enough time in 45 min. to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura- I loved your voice thread good job!!!! I like how you first did it in powerpoint and then transfered it over. I like that you had directions for the students and that you also taught them how to do voicethread the day before. I wish I would have allowed my students to use the the doodle tool too, I think it would have been alot of fun for them. One way I think you could have taken it to the next level was to have the students to write a story about each sentence they wrote. I like how you had pictures of all the students work because you made it to where every student was included in the voicethead! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, Great Job with the first graders! I am sure they enjoyed getting to work with the technology. I agree with Garza, giving them their own identity would give them ownership. I think that you are right too; the students would probably like the doodling tool. Since this is our first time to work with this technology ourselves I am sure we will branch out and try new things as we go along. I think you did an excellent job with your students!

    ReplyDelete